Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Crafting from My Shelf

As many of you know, in addition to textiles, color, and art, I love books. I’ve written about several books in the last few months – here, here, and here. I have a decent book collection (given my space constraints) that reflects my love of and preoccupation with humanities, philosophy, literature, law and craft.

I made a commitment to myself at the beginning of the year (well, it was really made sometime last fall): that if I used a pattern to create anything in 2011, I would look to my own book and periodical collection first. They're in my personal collection because I liked something in them. While it doesn't mean I won't add to my collection because, hey, I love books, it does mean that I'm going to give crafty priority to what I've already identified as stuff I like.


Sooooo .... I’m pleased to post my first project from my 2011 crafting-from-my-shelf commitment – my Purple Rain Scarf. Made from a pattern found in Sharon Hernes Silverman’s Tunisian Crochet: The Look of Knitting with the Ease of Crocheting, it’s a quick, fun scarf made with a luscious silk and mohair two-yarn combo (seen in the first photo above). It’s incredibly soft, yet surprisingly warm around the neck.


 Additionally, I thought you might also like to take a gander at my completed stole from the Japanese pattern I wrote about here. I added some Japanese silver-lined number 3 seed beads to the short ends of the stole for just a little spring bling. Since I made this with Berroco Pure Pima cotton yarn, I’m looking forward to wearing this when the weather gets just a little warmer and dryer.


Finally, I’ll leave you with a sneak peak of the next project from my shelf. The color is passionately eye-popping:

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for honoring me by making a project from my book! Your work on that and your other projects is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete