Friday, May 25, 2012

It's a Teva Durham Moment

The remaining mere 5 grams of
Kiddie Print on the left; the
shockingly red Drops Vivaldi in the
center, and the blooming rhodie
from the yard above them
Finished projects, for me, are in some instances more a matter of pleasantly aligning events. My projects this week definitely fall into this category.

I am a big fan of Teva Durham. Former editor of Vogue Knitting and sewer supreme, she's one of the edgy design names in knitting and crochet today. Her Loop-d-Loop series of books (one knit, one crochet) are design tour-de-forces. She's also got a line of yarn (Loop-d-Loop, produced by Takhi Stacy Charles) as well as other knit books.

I've been a big fan of the Loop-d-Loop books. I had two skeins of Laines du Nord Kiddie Print that I wanted to do something fun with. I also wanted to whip up yet another piece of neck/shoulder ware (I do really need to start branching out with greater regularity ... but that's another blog post). All of these things combined pleasantly when I looked through the Durham book and stumbled upon the Sidesaddle Stitch wrap. It was a Eureka! moment. I present (below) my Shibori-esque Bobble Shawlette:

At just under 460 yards and 20" x 42", this was a very quick crochet - as well as shorter than the original wrap. The best part is the bobble edging on either short end. Since I used mohair (and added a strand of Drops Vivaldi in a shocking shade of red so the bobbles are just that much rounder), I found that I could weave the bobbles of one end into the lace at the other end and the shawlette stays together nicely, with no need for a shawl pin. I like this wee little discovery.

Pardon all the sunshine - but can
you see how the bobbles interlace?





 Now if only I would use the Cascade Eco+ I have in stash in a lovely shade of red for a sweater I've been dying to make ...

Finally, I also started another quick project from the book - it's a hat, and I'm almost done piecing it together.

I used left-over sock yarn from my Big Fat Crocheted Shawly Scarf, and I love the motif as well as the color combination. The construction is a little interesting on this hat, which is making for some fiddly finishing. I'm going to gift it, so hopefully the colors will brighten someone's day.

You all know the drill - don't forget to check in over at Andrea's blog and get your fiber fill on this holiday weekend (for those in the U.S.). I hope you take the time, in your own unique way, to remember why we take time out for a Memorial Day weekend.

And then get your b-b-q and craft on.





7 comments:

  1. oooh, I love the first project. It looks like cotton candy. Your hat? Sewing? Ah I'm glad you are a more patient woman than I ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bobbles are awesome, Denise!!
    Have a 'memorable' weekend! XXO-

    ReplyDelete
  3. That shawl is gorgeous! Fun to work up, and fun to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the Loop d Loop knitting book, and every time I read it I get some new ideas. She has such a creative mind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great hat. It's like a hat with a little peekaboo! I finished my big round floor pouf - http://www.ravelry.com/projects/gottamake/pouf-floor-cushion . How's your cushion coming?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About half-way done with the second side. :)

      Delete