Monday, July 9, 2012

Some Monday Updates

One of my favorite patterns from
the new Noro magazine
Happy Monday everyone! Since I've written recently about some new craft magazines in the works, I figured an update was in order.

As Hannah Thiessen, the force behind the potentially new Genet Quarterly, sort of reported on her blog - her Kickstarter ultimately did not get funded. Unfortunate. So this great magazine idea will take further time and ingenuity to get off the ground. I hope it makes it to the crafty light of day.

However, Knit Edge Magazine has released a preview, "version zero" edition, and it's a great sneak peek at what we'll see in future from Cooperative Press's magazine effort. If you're into double knitting, there's an amazing article from Alasdair Post-Quinn, the author of Extreme Double Knitting. And the four patterns premiered aren't too shabby either. The link emailed out to those on the mailing list receiving the preview issue gratis (of which I was one) was so hot it actually felled the server and promptly wouldn't work. A substitute method of delivery was instituted, and all was well with Knit Edge's delivery.

And, finally, if you haven't seen it yet at your local book store, yarn shop or grocery store (!), definitely seek out the new Noro Magazine. Color, texture, and historical inspiration abound on each and every page. And the patterns (once again) aren't too shabby either. I can't stop looking at mine.

An additional, tangential update: Remember the handspun (shown below) I received from Andrea (the Wonder Why Gal) in thanks for making her a shawl?


Well, this gorgeous skein of handspun awesomeness is going to become my version of Sarah Wilson's the Chi-Chi Cowl, which just happens to be one of the 4 new patterns from Knit Edge. I'll be knitting it as part of my projects during the Ravellenic Games on team Cooperative Gearheads, of which I'm co-captain. I can't wait to use this amazing handspun; I think it's a perfect match for this pattern. Thanks so much, Andrea!

8 comments:

  1. ooooh, I just put that cowl in my favorites. Squeal, that yarn will be gorgeous with that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noro...I still don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As fond as I am of my computer and ebooks/mags there is nothing quite like print for me. I love my magazines and go back to them again and again for inspiration and enjoyment. Andrea's yarn looks gorgeous - she is a spinning machine!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The handspun looks beautiful and cozy - I'm sure the cowl will be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Denise - I was given a Lovely Blog award, and want to pass it on to you... Because you are indeed lovely. :-)

    http://kathrynsbrain.blogspot.com/2012/07/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great post, I haven't heard of Knit Edge before, but I'll be looking for it now! That chi chi cowl will be even more lovely in that gorgeous handspun.

    ReplyDelete