Monday, July 21, 2014

And Then There Was Pink

I'm currently working with both of these yarns - which one is
considered "pink" and which one "orchid" by each of their
respective yarn companies?
I have traditionally been a black kind of gal. Still am in many respects (no metaphors intended). Nevertheless, I have been taken with color over the last several years, and recently with pink. 

Pink! Just writing the word makes me squirm. And yet I have been drawn to it (one of my recently published designs, Tunisian Lace Curtains, was created with pink hemp lace weight yarn). I have made blankets with various shades of the stuff. I've created paintings with the color. I cannot tell you from whence the swell of pink love (or at least, appreciation) stems; nevertheless, I like the color. Sort of a lot at the moment, if truth be told.

A quick check of the cultural associations with pink: Pink Panther, Pepto Bismol, Barbie (gah, squirming again), pink Cadillac (both the actual car as well as the song), Pink Floyd, pink bubblegum, pink flamingos (now so retro chic), and hysterical 60s pink holiday trees. Currently pink is associated with women and girls; blue with men and boys, but it wasn't always this way. Since blue was traditionally thought to be a calming color, it was associated with girls and pink, the more lively color, associated with boys. Of course, in the 21st century, that's all changed.

I've been pinning lots of pink images on one of my Pinterest boards for quite some time, and I leave you with a few select ones. If you're a pink fan, enjoy! From left, top - bottom center: Palace of the Winds in Jaipur, India, a beautiful image from a building in Dubai, pink sheep in Scotland farmer-dyed with non-toxic dyes, a wash of rose paint.





2 comments:

  1. Look at those pink sheep! Sometimes pink can be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely ... especially on sheep! And to think that a man actually hand dyes those sheep in Scotland - for those driving by no less!

      Delete